- Category: Uncategorised
The Vigfusson House
1898, Lundi. This was the first house moved onto the property on Oct.13, 2000, draw in by two teams of horses! Come listen to the legend of Chief John Ramsey and his connection to the Vigfusson family via a dream and superstition.
The Interpretive Centre
2010, Arborg. Marvel at our various exhibits that depict what life was like 100 years ago. The interpretive centre is home to our old-fashioned storefronts as well as many other exhibits.
1913, Arborg. This was the house that Bjorn and Lara Sigvaldason and their 16 children called home for over 50 years. Witness how the family lived and admire many artifacts that were original to the family.
St. Demetrius Ukrainian Catholic Church
1921, Bjarmi. This Provincial Historic building is a must-see! The church has most of its original artifacts including an all-glass candle chandelier. The church has been re-sanctioned after restoration so church services can be held in it again.
1880s, Geysir. This is the oldest Icelandic building still standing in all of New Iceland. With the help of a number of volunteers, we are proud to have obtained this building in 2017 and completed the restoration in 2019.
1920, Morweena. This beautiful Polish home was moved on-site in the summer of 2009. Many of the Kowalski family volunteered hundreds of hours of tender loving care into the restoration. Come admire all their hard work.
Poplar Heights School
1918, Warren. Come experience what it was like to attend school one hundred years ago in a one-room schoolhouse.
The Saunders House
1905, Clandeboye. Rescued from demolition from the Winnipeg Beach Ukrainian Homestead Museum upon its closing, this Ukrainian-style house has been set up to demonstrate a rural doctor's office.
The Ice House
Come for a tour to learn more about the importance of these ice houses now daily living 100 years ago.
1900s, Arborg. Sigruidur and Jodis raised 10 children in this home. Mrs. Brandson was well known for her hospitality and sometimes received up to 40 visitors in one day alone! Also, come see our tribute to the North Star Creamery where their son Oskar worked.
Ukrainian Bake Oven
2007, Arborg. Our replica of a typical Ukrainian oven. Come learn about how they were made. On special occasions, you may get a taste of the bread that comes out of it.
Hykaway Grist Mill
1917, Meleb. One of the last grist mills left in Canada! Come see this impressive grist mill, which was made entirely by hand from the foundation stones to the sails.
In 1910 the railway came to Arborg, drastically bringing about change in the area. With easier access to wood, livestock, and a means of transportation to Winnipeg, the Arborg community really began to grow. Take a look inside and picture the life of a freight train crew!
St. Nicholas Ukrainian Catholic Parish Hall
1937, Narcisse. Originally a house in Narcisse and later moved to Poplarfield and with many additions became the hall there. This was our second building.
Replica. This Tipi is a Cree-Style Tipi with 13 poles to signify the 13 moons of the year and 13 teachings. Tipis have been constructed by Indigenous people possibly as early as 10,00 B.C.E.
2020, Replica. Outhouses were typically separate from other buildings and had a moon carved in the door for light and ventilation.
1974, Framnes. As the need for more cut lumber increased, many families purchased or built their own sawmills.
1938, Arborg. By the turn of the century, the introduction of new farm machinery, innovative construction techniques, and scientific planning greatly altered the appearance of barns. The top floor of this barn is now open to the public.
1920s, Komarno. This Ukrainian-style log house is joined at the corners with dovetail joints. The house was sold to the Winnipeg Beach Museum in 1984 and donated to Arborg and District Heritage Village in 2009.
The General Store, Garage, Blacksmith & Livery Stables
Replica. All a part of the same building, these four businesses would often go hand in hand.